Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Red Velvet Cake with Mascarpone Frosting

I love my mother-in-law. Yes, it is true. Diane is a wonderful person and naturally, when she celebrated a milestone birthday (no, I won't give up her real age) I was only too thrilled to make Diane a cake she would love. The funny thing is that I never verbally offered to make one, she made subtle hints about the flavor and colors: Red velvet cake with a white frosting.

I found an amazing World War II era Red Velvet Cake recipe that was TO DIE FOR! Since WW2 was a time when dairy and eggs was rationed, this recipe contained neither. I admit that I was a little skeptical, but it was divine. The cake turned out moist, rich and tender. I gave the frosting pizazz by using Mascarpone Cheese in my frosting recipe. It was a great alternative and added a slightly tangy and nutty flavor to the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment